With winter in full swing, now is a great time to prevent accidents! Slips, trips, and falls account for the majority of general industry accidents according to the U.S. Department of Labor. Almost a quarter of all reported claims each year fall into this category!
What does this mean for you as an employer?
- Loss of productivity and business opportunities
- Increased insurance premiums
- Costs of injuries, loss time, and possible replacement of employees
- Decreased employee morale
What does this mean for your employee?
- Lost wages
- Temporary or Permanent Disability
- Changes in lifestyle
- Possible inability to return to their career path
The good news is these types of accidents are highly preventable. Simple housekeeping, maintenance, and proper training can greatly decrease the changes of a workplace injury due to slips, trips, and falls.
Here’s what you can do to help!
- Keep all surface areas clean and dry. Winter snow, slush, and water can quickly turn floors slippery.
- Keep aisles and floors clear and in good repair.
- Make sure each stairway has appropriate railing to prevent accidents.
- Remind your staff of the importance of reporting and who to notify, in case of a spill, leak, or mess that could be dangerous. Keep these areas clearly marked until the hazard has been removed.
- Make sure all entrances are provided with rugs or floor mats to remove water and debris those entering the building.
- Keep walking surfaces clear of cords and hoses.
- Make sure all working and walking areas have appropriate lighting.
- Make sure parking lots are properly maintained, plowed, and salted during the winter months.
While not all slips, trips, and falls are preventable, preventative action can greatly reduce the number of accidents. Encourage your staff to report any unsafe conditions to management immediately and to take pride in their working area for the safety of themselves and others.
Want to learn more about how you can gain access to Trillium’s national network of top level talent? Contact us today! If you are a stand out in your profession and seeking contingent or long term career opportunities, visit our job seekers section for more information!
Trillium, a national leader in staffing and recruitment is a valued staffing partner to over 5,000 companies nationwide. Trillium is privately owned by Oskar René Poch.