As reported by OSHA and the U.S. Department of Labor, the construction industry saw the highest number of workplace deaths in 2013 with a total of 796 deaths reported. A drastic 57% of those deaths were attributed to what is referred to as the “Fatal Four” which includes falls, being caught between objects, electrocutions, and being struck by objects.
Federal OSHA reports that eliminating the “Fatal Four” would have saved 468 lives in America in 2013 alone. Coincidentally enough, included in the top 3 most frequented cited violations for fiscal year 2014 for Federal OSHA included was Fall Protection and General Requirements for Scaffolding.
Several ways to reduce risk of injury and death in the work place due to the “Fatal Four” includes:
- Employing a Risk Management team.
- Having a structured safety program that includes training, refreshers, enforcement, and incentives.
- Safety committees dedicated to identifying hazards and ensuring jobsite safety.
- Screening potential hires for knowledge and commitment to safety protocol.
- Hiring only those who are qualified to perform the work safely.
Want to learn more about how you can gain access to Trillium’s national network of top level talent? Contact us today! If you are a stand out in your profession and seeking contingent or long term career opportunities, visit our job seekers section for more information!
Trillium, a national leader in staffing and recruitment is a valued staffing partner to over 5,000 companies nationwide. Trillium is privately owned by Oskar René Poch.