The time has come for everyone who uses the roads to once again start thinking about the fact that kids are getting ready to go back to school. That means more cars on the roads, school buses in full operation and an army of young pedestrians crossing roads on the way to school. Nearly 22 million students will be getting onto buses this late summer and fall.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, riding a bus to school is 13 times safer than riding in a passenger vehicle and 10 safer than walking to school. The reality is that more children are hurt outside the bus. Given that pedestrian – vehicle injuries are a leading cause of death for school age children, it’s vital that truck drivers pay attention to posted signs, signals and traffic. Below are tips to help keep our kids safe this school year:
- Watch for school zones – Look for signs and flashing lights during school hours.
- Slow down in school zones and stay alert – Children are unpredictable.
- Watch for crossing guards.
- Watch for school buses – All states have strict laws regarding passing a stopped school bus.
- Never pass on the right side of the bus.
- Adjust driving hours if possible.
- Minimize use on secondary roads, use freeways and highways when possible.
- Have a heightened sense of awareness on rural highways and state routes for stopped buses.
- Be aware of traffic congestion in college towns.
- Don’t block the crosswalk.
- Never pass a vehicle stopped for pedestrians.
- Don’t honk your horn or rev your engine to rush a pedestrian, even if you have the right of way.
- Make sure your headlights are on.
- Take extra care to look for children near schools, residential areas, parks and playgrounds.
While drivers are always safety conscious, it is important they not take it for granted. Don’t be tempted to make a call or fall victim to any other distraction that may take your eyes off the road. We all need to adopt a safety-first mindset if we are to keep accidents at a minimum and our children safe.
The Trillium brand of companies is privately owned by René Poch and provides more than 30 years of industry leading recruitment and staffing services through its divisions including: Trillium Staffing, Trillium Construction Services, Trillium Driver Solutions, Trillium Marine, Trillium Technical, Trillium Environmental, and Trillium Techs. With approximately 90 offices nationwide and nearly 400 internal recruitment professionals, the Trillium brand is proud to be recognized by Staffing Industry Analysts as a Top 25 Largest Industrial Staffing Firm in the U.S., a Top 100 Largest Staffing Firm in the U.S., a Top 100 Fastest Growing Staffing Firm in the U.S., and a 2015 winner of National Best and Brightest Companies to Work For. For more information please visit www.trilliumstaffing.com.