I’m sure all of you have felt the effects of sleep deprivation at some point during your work day. But how widespread is lack of sleep in America?
According to OSHA (Occupational Health & Safety), today Americans are sleeping only 6 hours per night, that is 1-2 hours less than Americans just 60 years ago! So what is the difference between how we sleep today and how our grandparents or even great grandparents got their beauty rest?
The problem is due to a wide array of causes:
- Americans today literally have access to technology 24/7. Whether they are checking emails, watching TV, or scrolling through social media, people have an endless supply of mental stimulation available at their fingertips. While this seems wonderful and might possibly may make you feel more engaged, the advancements in technology can cause sleep issues.
- Studies have shown that viewing screens (whether from TV, Mobile device, laptop etc) within the last hour before bed can keep your brain from shutting down properly, not allowing for a restful night’s sleep.
- Sleep disorders have continued to grow amongst Americans, currently affecting 50-70 million Americans.
- In fact, insomnia-related workplace accidents cost employers between $15 billion to $92 billion annually.
- Working odd shifts has also proved to be a major issue. In fact, the 22 million American shift workers average 2-4 hours less than the average working individual.
To learn more about sleep deprivation can lead to workplace injuries, please check out safetymanagement.eku.edu.
Are you a stand out professional, technical professional, driver, or skilled worker seeking contingent, temporary, or long term career opportunities? Visit our job board for more information! Want to learn more about how you can gain access to Trillium’s national network of professionals and skilled workers? Contact us today!
Trillium, a national leader in staffing and recruitment is a valued staffing partner to over 22,000 companies nationwide. Trillium is privately owned by Oskar René Poch.